What is the GreenBelt?
With the European Green Belt, an extraordinary ecological network and living memorial landscape has been developed along the former Iron Curtain. In the area of the INTERREG Danube Transnational Programme (DTP) the European Green Belt connects 10 countries. It forms a backbone of the Pan-European ecological network and can provide a significant contribution to EU Green Infrastructure (GI) and TEN-G.
We dare to connect!
However, the Green Belt still suffers from a certain level of not sufficiently connected habitats and valuable landscapes. The main objective of the „DaRe to Connect (D2C)“ project is therefore the implementation of the EU Danube Strategy by further transnational development of the connectivity of the Green Belt as backbone of EU Green infrastructure (EU GI) by maintaining and enhancing ecosystems and their services.
Technology, nature and people
There are several main parts of the project:
- The project defines feasible ecological corridors between Natura 2000 areas on transnational and macro-regional level by innovative GIS and remote sensing approaches, partly based on newly available EU-Copernicus (Sentinel) data.
- Then, the project will provide concrete guidance and recommendations on planning and establishment of transnational ecological corridors connecting Natura 2000 areas on local and regional level, derived from pilot actions.
- Results will be mainstreamed via a transnational strategic vision "Green Belt in the Danube Region 2030” to be endorsed by national political stakeholders.
- The improvement of capacities of responsible public bodies and NGOs will lead to better understanding as well as to an improved knowledge exchange and cooperation.
- PR-work and events will give local/regional people and politicians an understanding of how connectivity and ESS can contribute to human wellbeing.
Project participation and learning interaction will enhance individual capacities of the project partners' staff and other involved institutions to further develop the European Green Belt in the DTP area.
The project activities are focused mainly in 6 pilot regions:
You can read more about pilot regions here.
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 2086654,1
- ERDF Contribution: 1684031,98
- IPA Contribution: 89624
- ENI Contribution: 0
- Call number
- Call 2
- Environment and culture responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Foster the restoration and management of ecological corridors
|Filename||Date of upload|
|List of maps||04-04-2021 22:29:44|
|Map GB_LeastCost_Map1_GER_CZ_A3||04-04-2021 22:29:05|
|Map GB_LeastCost_Map2_AUT_CZ_SK_A3||04-04-2021 22:27:56|
|Map GB_LeastCost_Map3_AUT_HU_SLO_A3||04-04-2021 22:26:49|
|Map GB_LeastCost_Map4_HR_HU_A3||04-04-2021 22:25:30|
|Bavarian branch of BUND, Friends of the Earth Germany, BUND Project Office Green Belt||Lead email@example.com||GERMANY|
|Ametyst Non-governmental organization||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||CZECH REPUBLIC|
|Environment Agency Austria||ERDF email@example.com||AUSTRIA|
|University of Vienna, Division of Conservation Biology, Vegetation Ecology and Landscape Ecology||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||AUSTRIA|
|Őrség National Park Directorate||ERDF email@example.com||HUNGARY|
Czech project partner Ametyst decided to organise a face to face excursion in the middle of June after few on-line meetings with stakeholders. Representatives of the Ministry of Environment of the Czech Republic, the Nature Conservation Agency of...
One of the main objectives of the DaRe to Connect project in the Őrség-Goričko pilot area was to connect the populations of the endangered Marsh fritillary butterfly between Slovenia and Hungary. After a year of intensive field survey, it...
Migration of species has got various consequences, not only good but also bad. One of them is a spreading of invasive species. Romanian D2C project partner Iron Gates Nature Park Administration has launched a collaboration with the...
We organized D2C scientific conference "Science in Support of Ecological Networks – Lessons learned from the European Green Belt" on April 15.2021. You can read more about the conference here. Since the interest in the conference was...
In the period from 20 to 22 April 2021, the Public Institution for the management of protected parts of nature and the ecological network of Virovitica-Podravina County in Croatia in cooperation with the company Prehnit from Zagreb, as part of...