On June 25, 1944 the first wagon left Szeged, with 90-100 person/wagon. The train took Jews including many children and women, to the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp. On 27 and 28 June other trains started and 8600 of our Hungarian Jewish compatriots were deported from Szeged and its surroundings. Almost a third of those were citizens of Szeged.
The martyrs of the Holocaust were remembered at the Szeged main train station at the board of the first train from Szeged 76 years ago.
The Szeged Diocese of the Hungarian Evangelical Brotherhood (MET), MAZSIHISZ and the Szeged Jewish Community were present at the commemoration along with the president of the Protection Charity Association.
The commemoration at the brick factory was held on the 28th June remembering the victims of the Holocaust in Szeged. Not only representatives from Szeged but several other cities were represented at the commemoration: Szentes, Makó and Hódmezővásárhely.