As one of the main objectives of the GRENDEL project is to raise the environmental performance of Danube inland vessels and to fully integrate them in the transnational transport and logistics chains, several factsheets providing basic information on innovative technologies in modernising inland vessels are released and updated in the framework of the project.
One last technological innovation factsheet on Energy efficient navigation was newly elaborated in cooperation with the INDanube Innovation Transfer Centre. Most measures to increase the environmental performance of inland navigation are linked to significant investments and sometimes even higher operational costs. Smart nautical operation can reduce energy consumption and emissions of air pollutants without or at little extra costs (e. g. for advice tools or training). This fact sheet offers information on energy-efficient navigation including the underlying physics.
The following factsheets addressing fleet modernisation aspects are also available on the GRENDEL website:
- Modernisation of Danube inland vessels
- Gas and Gas-Electric Propulsion (version April 2020)
- Diesel Electric Propulsion (version April 2020)
- After-Treatment (version April 2020)
- Fuel Cell Propulsion (version April 2020)
- Battery electric propulsion (version April 2020)
- Drop-in fuels (version April 2020)
- EURO VI truck and NRE engines (version April 2020)