Floodplains are among the most diverse and productive ecosystems on Earth. They play an essential role in the self-purification of the river and the groundwater recharge. Floodplains are natural habitat for many endangered species. They contribute to flood risk reduction by slowing flood discharges and storing water. Floodplains are under extreme pressure. More than 80 per cent have been lost in the Danube River Basin.
Join the 1st DanubeFloodplain webinar on 28 June and learn about the floodplain losses and get familiar with the importance of the floodplains for flood protection, ecology, and others. Discover methods for floodplain evaluation.
Webinar will focus on:
- Showing substantial floodplain losses over the last decades in the Danube region.
- Raising awareness about the importance of the floodplains for flood protection, ecology, etc.
- Presenting methods for floodplain evaluation.
Date: 28 June 2021, 9-11 AM CET
Register here: Zoom
1. Welcome remarks & Introduction (Sabina Bokal, GWP CEE – moderator)
2. Opening presentation: “Floodplains under pressure: a natural system to preserve and restore” (Prof. Helmut Habersack, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences)
3. Panel discussion: Sharing knowledge and experiences on flood risk and floodplain management
- Petra Repnik (Chairwoman of the ICPDR's Hydromorphology Task Group; Slovenian Water Agency)
- Péter Tóth (Middle Tisza District Water Directorate)
- Clemens Neuhold (Chair of the ICPDR Flood Protection Expert Group; Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Regions and Tourism )
- TBC (Romanian Water)
4. Facilitated Q&A Discussion
5. Closing remarks by Prof. Helmut Habersack, BOKU