Environment and culture responsible Danube region - Foster sustainable use of natural and cultural heritage and resources
Project Idea Promoter
(name of the institution)
University of Niš
Needs and challenges
(Needs, main problems or challenges to be addressed)
Having in mind that culture and cultural heritage are the most important for the national identity, it is very important to constantly improve this area introducing new technology achievements and developed basic infrastructure for smooth running of tourist activities.
The current situation in the Danube region of Bulgaria and Serbia, is that there is no planned tourism development, no preservation of cultural and historical heritage, insufficiently developed tourist facilities as well as promotion of cultural and historical heritage and tourist offer.
As a result, there are no much museum visitors (especially the younger population), no so much cultural exhibitions and events. It is evident that there is a need for do something to improve current situation. We hope that this project will be a big step in this direction.
(main and specific objectives to be achieved)
The proposed project aims to realize the European Union recommendations related to digitization and visualization of cultural heritage. Modern techniques would be used in realization, including three-dimensional (3D) scanning, 3D modeling, the novel web 3D visualization techniques, as well as the virtual and augment reality technologies.
Main results and core outputs
Using all mentioned technologies the following basic results in digitization and archiving the cultural and historical heritage goals would be achieved:
– Permanently preserving the historical and cultural artifacts;
– The possibility of reparation of old and damaged models;
– Popularization of events and customs;
– Approaching the younger population interest;
– Adapting technology to people with disabilities;
– Accessibility to diaspora, minorities and displaced persons;
– Improving the techniques of promotion.
Main foreseen activities
The main activities during the implementation of the projects are as follows:
1) Project management and reporting to the EU Commission,
2) Activities related to the media and publicity,
3) Organization of conferences (round tables, workshops and conferences),
4) Establishment of the Center for Digital Transformation of Museums at the University of Nis in Serbia (procurement of IT equipment and software),
5) Forming the sub-centers for the digitization of cultural and historical heritage within the two museums in Bulgaria,
6) Training of all partner members for handling IT equipment and digitization software,
7) Digitization of selected exhibits in two museums in Bulgaria,
8) The project website development,
9) Developing of a special internet portal for virtual exhibitions
10) Producing the virtual exhibitions.
Innovative character of the project idea
Modern technologies would be used in realization, including three-dimensional (3D) scanning, 3D modeling, the novel web 3D visualization techniques, as well as the virtual and augment reality technologies. Using modern technologies in the process of digitization, this project would significantly contribute to the preservation of cultural and historical treasures in Bulgaria and Serbia. The results of the project would be represent the beginning of the process of digitization of cultural and historical heritage in Bulgaria and Serbia, as well as participation in the world trends of approaching cultural and historical heritage to a wider circle of citizens.
Estimated Total Budget
1 200 000
Associated Strategic Partners
Associated Strategic Partners
Programme co-funded by European Union funds (ERDF, IPA, ENI)