Environment and culture responsible Danube region - Foster sustainable use of natural and cultural heritage and resources
Project Idea Promoter
(name of the institution)
FLAG Nesebar Mesemvria
Needs and challenges
(Needs, main problems or challenges to be addressed)
Keep the heritage of the fishing communities and present the tourist potential of the preserved ecosystems along the Danube and the Black Sea region.
(main and specific objectives to be achieved)
The aim of the project is to contribute to the sustainable use of Danube and Black Sea resources by exploring the cross-border heritage of fishing communities and presenting its tourism potential as an example of conservation of river ecosystems.
The project aims at:
- Exploring and presenting to the general public the unique cultural heritage of fishermen and their practices for preserving a sustainable ecosystem in and around the river;
- To preserve this legacy for future generations through more measures to protect natural and cultural heritage in joint development strategies and policies;
- Demonstrate that economic utility can be combined with protecting and preserving the natural and cultural environment by creating and developing integrated tourism products based on the Danube fishing heritage.
Main results and core outputs
Within the framework of an active cross-border partnership under the project, the following concrete results will be achieved:
1. Five existing fishing communities along the Danube and the Black Sea will be identified, described and visualized through terrain and audiovisual research and a scientific approach, resulting in the creation of an Internet-based digital database of fisheries cultural heritage along the Danube and the Black Sea.
2. Five strategic documents relating to the conservation and sustainable use of cultural and historical heritage and the development of the 5 fisheries communities as tourist destinations will be developed and promoted.
3. 10 Integrated Tourism Products based on the materials and knowledge accumulated within the project will be created, promoted and tested.
Main foreseen activities
Collecting and storing valuable documents on the history of fishing communities.
Develop joint development strategies and policies to preserve this heritage for future generations through measures to protect the natural and cultural heritage.
Creation of an internet-based digital database of fishing cultural heritage on the Danube and the Black Sea.
Making a film about the history of fisheries in the Danube region and the Black Sea - origin, development and future in the partner countries of the project. The film will also be based on a study of the history and lifestyle of the fishing community from the time of the first fisheries data to date. Fisherman's Images, Community Life, Environmental Issues such as Reducing Biodiversity in the Black Sea and the Danube, and Building the Danube Bank and the Seashore
Innovative character of the project idea
Promote a new approach to the life of fisheries communities by developing and promoting strategic documents relating to the conservation and sustainable use of cultural and historical heritage as well as the development of the 5 fisheries communities as tourist destinations. An innovative film will be produced showing the first historical data on fishing on the Danube and the Black Sea, as well as the state of fishing and fishing communities these days. It develops the skills for collecting information between generations and assesses the material and non-material heritage of the Danube countries involved in the project.
Estimated Total Budget
Associated Strategic Partners
Associated Strategic Partners
Programme co-funded by European Union funds (ERDF, IPA, ENI)