Riparian forests of the Mura-Drava-Danube Biosphere Reserve are important ecological corridors but at the same time are in unfavourable condition due to various reasons. For instance, these are increasing incidence of pests and diseases, unsustainable human activities and lack of guidance on how to manage riparian forest, especially when natural regeneration fails. On the other side, these forests are important for society in general due to provision of many services and benefits.
REFOCuS will than fight to counteract this decline by boosting riparian forest resilience. In order to achieve this goal, REFOCuS will:
- come up with novel silvicultural methods for forest management and conservation
- increase availability of appropriate planting material to be used when natural regeneration fails.
Photo by Aleksander Marinšek
REFOCuS consortium, led by Slovenian Forestry Institute, consists of 5 project and 6 associated partners from Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia, geographically covering the whole territory of the Biosphere Reserve. The project implementation is organized in four thematic working packages:
1) Interpreting knowledge
2) Silviculture & conservation
3) Planting material availability
4) The policy interface.
Project management and communication packages act as a support for the thematic working packages.
Project results include:
- recommendations on tree species to use & promote,
- spatial analysis of the riparian corridor,
- management handbook for threatened riparian forests,
- pests & diseases riparian forests information system & identification tool,
- transnational seed transfer zones for seven riparian tree species for the Biosphere Reserve & project partner countries,
- database on planting material for riparian forests connected to transnational seed transfer zones,
- common regional planting material transfer procedure,
- planting material use & conservation guidelines,
- regional gene bank of riparian species,
- holistic strategy for resilient riparian forests collaboratively produced by project partners, associated partners and all interested stakeholders from various sectors
- installed demonstration sites for stakeholder education. Word cloud by Peter Železnik
Follow the REFOCuS on Facebook.
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 1503076,78
- ERDF Contribution: 1101242,71
- IPA Contribution: 176372,54
- ENI Contribution: 0
- Call number
- Call 2
- Environment and culture responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Foster the restoration and management of ecological corridors
|Filename||Date of upload|
|D2.4.1. REFOCuS brochure_GER||16-11-2018 08:40:33|
|D2.2.1. REFOCuS_Communication strategy||12-11-2018 13:16:46|
|D2.4.2. REFOCuS_Newsletter_no1||12-11-2018 13:16:22|
|D2.2.2. REFOCuS_poster||12-11-2018 13:13:56|
|D2.4.1. REFOCuS_brochure_SRB||12-11-2018 13:04:32|
|Slovenian Forestry Institute||Lead email@example.com||SLOVENIA|
|Federal Research and Training Centre for Forests, Natural Hazards and Landscape Austria||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||AUSTRIA|
|Croatian Forest Research Institute||ERDF email@example.com||CROATIA|
|National Agricultural Research and Innovation Centre||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||HUNGARY|
|University of Novi Sad, Institute of Lowland Forestry and Environment||IPA email@example.com||SERBIA|
This month researchers of the Slovenian Forestry Institute, as part of their project activities, inspected the transects through the Slovenian riparian forests in the Biosphere Reserve Mura-Drava-Danube. Transects are lines delineated on the maps...
Institute of Lowland Forestry and Environment (ILFE), a REFOCuS project partner, is organising a two-day workshop in Novi Sad on policy related issues affecting riparian forest management in the Biosphere Reserve Mura-Drava-Danube. Forest...
ILFE has participated on the 14th International fair of education “Putokazi” held from 7th – 9th of March 2019 in Novi Sad, Serbia. Visitors of the fair, future and current students, got familiar with activities of ILFE in field of forestry...
Project partners gathered for the two-day project meeting in Jastrebarsko at the premisses of the Croatian Forest Research Institute. They discussed status of data collection, as well as ongoing and future project activities. Partners also...
REFOCuS will provide forest management and conservation guidelines for riparian forests in the Biosphere Reserve Mura-Drava-Danube. For that purpose field observations will be carried out to investigate the current state of the forests in the...