Riparian forests of the Mura-Drava-Danube Biosphere Reserve are important ecological corridors but at the same time are in unfavourable condition due to various reasons. For instance, these are increasing incidence of pests and diseases, unsustainable human activities and lack of guidance on how to manage riparian forest, especially when natural regeneration fails. On the other side, these forests are important for society in general due to provision of many services and benefits.
REFOCuS will than fight to counteract this decline by boosting riparian forest resilience. In order to achieve this goal, REFOCuS will:
- come up with novel silvicultural methods for forest management and conservation
- increase availability of appropriate planting material to be used when natural regeneration fails.
Photo by Aleksander Marinšek
REFOCuS consortium, led by Slovenian Forestry Institute, consists of 5 project and 6 associated partners from Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia, geographically covering the whole territory of the Biosphere Reserve. The project implementation is organized in four thematic working packages:
1) Interpreting knowledge
2) Silviculture & conservation
3) Planting material availability
4) The policy interface.
Project management and communication packages act as a support for the thematic working packages.
Project results include:
- recommendations on tree species to use & promote,
- spatial analysis of the riparian corridor,
- management handbook for threatened riparian forests,
- pests & diseases riparian forests information system & identification tool,
- transnational seed transfer zones for seven riparian tree species for the Biosphere Reserve & project partner countries,
- database on planting material for riparian forests connected to transnational seed transfer zones,
- common regional planting material transfer procedure,
- planting material use & conservation guidelines,
- regional gene bank of riparian species,
- holistic strategy for resilient riparian forests collaboratively produced by project partners, associated partners and all interested stakeholders from various sectors
- installed demonstration sites for stakeholder education. Word cloud by Peter Železnik
Follow the REFOCuS on Facebook.
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 1503076,78
- ERDF Contribution: 1101242,71
- IPA Contribution: 176372,54
- ENI Contribution: 0
- Call number
- Call 2
- Environment and culture responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Foster the restoration and management of ecological corridors
|Filename||Date of upload|
|Output O3.2 Spatial analysis of the riparian corridor habitats||14-11-2019 08:28:34|
|D2.4.1. REFOCuS brochure_GER||16-11-2018 08:40:33|
|D2.2.1. REFOCuS_Communication strategy||12-11-2018 13:16:46|
|D2.4.2. REFOCuS_Newsletter_no1||12-11-2018 13:16:22|
|D2.2.2. REFOCuS_poster||12-11-2018 13:13:56|
|Slovenian Forestry Institute||Lead firstname.lastname@example.org||SLOVENIA|
|Federal Research and Training Centre for Forests, Natural Hazards and Landscape Austria||ERDF email@example.com||AUSTRIA|
|Croatian Forest Research Institute||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||CROATIA|
|National Agricultural Research and Innovation Centre||ERDF email@example.com||HUNGARY|
|University of Novi Sad, Institute of Lowland Forestry and Environment||IPA firstname.lastname@example.org||SERBIA|
One of the results of the REFOCuS project is development of forest management and nature conservation guidelines. Within the project we have developed a questionnaire for four groups of stakeholders that are somehow connected with the Biosphere...
We are kindly inviting stakeholders of the Biosphere Reserve Mura-Drava-Danube to join us for the two workshops. These workshops will take place in several venues in Austria (Vienna, Eckartsau, Nationalpark Donau Auen) on 16th...
Imagine strolling in forests of the Biosphere Reserve Mura-Drava-Danube. You may see some trees that do not look well or observe some insects that you may not know anything about. You are interested to know more and learn how those pests and...
The project partners from Federal Research and Training Centre for Forests, Natural Hazards and Landscape Austria (BFW) and Croatian Forest Research Institute spent one week, from 26-30/8/2019, in Bad Radkersburg (Austria). The goal of the joint...
REFOCuS organises a two-day workshop for forest tree health experts on 17th and 18th of June in Murska Sobota (Slovenia) in Hotel Diana. The goal for the first day is to present information system DanubeForestHealth as well as to present in the...