In this section, you will be regularly updated on circular economy events and literature.
Circular economy events organised or attended by MOVECO
- May 2019 (exact date to be announced) – Linz, Austria: MOVECO Final Conference
- Spring/Summer 2019 (exact date TBD) – Linz, Austria: MOVECO exhibition "The circular economy in the Danube region"
- January 21 - March 31 – Bratislava and Nitra, Slovakia: MOVECO exhibition "The circular economy in the Danube region"
- December 4, 2018 – Sofia, Bulgaria: 2nd MOVECO Stakeholder Forum
- October - December 2018 – Ljubljana, Slovenia: MOVECO exhibition "The circular economy in the Danube region"
- August 13 - September 20, 2018 – Augsburg, Germany: MOVECO exhibition "The circular economy in the Danube region"
- May 14 – 18, 2018 – Munich, Germany: IFAT – World's Leading Trade Fair for Water, Sewage, Waste, and Raw Materials Management - Meet us at the Bavarian Pavilion (Hall A4 Booth 151/250)
- 6 December 2017 – Osijek, Croatia: MOVECO Stakeholder Forum on Circular Economy
Circular economy events
- April 3rd – 5, 2019 – Leipzig, Germany: terratec – Trade Fair for Waste Management, Circular Economy
- March 28 – 30, 2019 – Istanbul, Turkey: IFAT Eurasia 2019
- March 11 – 12, 2019 – Berlin, Germany: 12. Berliner Recycling- und Rohstoffkonferenz
- February 25 – 27, 2019 – Kalkar, Germany: Products for Future 2019
- February 24 – 27, 2019 – Antwerp, Belgium: World Resources Forum 2019, Closing Loops - Transitions at Work
- January 28 – 29, 2019 – Berlin, Germany: Berliner Abfallwirtschafts- und Energiekonferenz 2019
- January 16 – 18, 2019 – Salzburg, Austria: 18th International Electronics Recycling Congress
- December 4 – 5, 2018 (exact date to be announced) – Sofia, Bulgaria: 2nd MOVECO Stakeholder Forum
- November 29 – 30, 2018 – Berlin, Germany: Nationales Ressourcen-Forum 2018
- November 28 – 30, 2018 – Brussels, Belgium: G-STIC Conference 2018 – The Global Sustainable Technology & Innovation Conference
- November 27 – 28, 2018 – Berlin, Germany: European Resources Forum 2018
- November 13 – 15, 2018 – Barcelona, Spain: Smart City Expo World Congress 2018
- November 7 – 9, 2018 – Leoben, Austria: Recy & DepoTech 2018
- November 6 – 9, 2018 – Rimini, Italy: ECOMONDO - Green & Circular Economy
- November 6 – 7, 2018 – Cologne, Germany: 27. Kölner Abfalltage
- November 1 –3, 2018 – Belgrade, Serbia: Green Economy Congress
- October 30 – November 1st, 2018 – Glasgow, UK: Circular Economy Hotspot Scotland
- October 25 – 28, 2018 – Hong Kong, Japan: 13. Eco Expo Asia
- October 25, 2018 – Copenhagen, Denmark: EIB conference on the Circular Economy
- October 24 – 26, 2018 – Freiburg, Germany and Basel, Switzerland: Local Renewables Conference 2018
- October 22 – 24, 2018 – Tokyo, Japan: World Circular Economy Forum
- October 17 – 18, 2018 – Karlsruhe, Germany: 7. Ressourceneffizienz- und Kreislaufwirtschaftskongress Baden-Württemberg
- October 17, 2018 – Brussels, Belgium: Business Network Roundtable "From Linear to Circular" - How R&I can transform the future of food systems
- October 3rd – 5, 2018 – Thessaloniki, Greece: ECOCITY FORUM 2018 "Circular Economy in Smart Cities"
- October 3rd – 5, 2018 – Nijmegen, Netherlands: EcoProcura 2018
- October 1st – 2nd, 2018 – Vienna, Austria: IRRC – Waste-to-Energy
- October 1st, 2018 – Zurich, Switzerland: 32. Lifefair Forum – Kreislaufwirtschaft
- September 26 – 28, 2018 – Berlin, Germany: 23rd International Congress for Battery Recycling ICBR 2018
- September 26, 2018 – Brussels, Belgium: Circular Cities
- September 26, 2018 – Munich, Germany: 6. Bayerischer CSR-Tag in München
- September 25, 2018 – Linz, Austria: Oberösterreichischer Umweltkongress 2018: Thema Lichtverschmutzung
- September 20, 2018 – Vienna, Austria: EU Circular Economy Conference
- September 19 – 21, 2018 – Taiwan: Circular Economy Taiwan
- September 13 – 15, 2018 – Lüneburg, Germany: Cradle to Cradle Congress 2018
- September 13, 2018 – Sofia, Bulgaria: EREK workshop on Resource efficiency in the tourism sector
- September 12 – 14, 2018 – Dornbirn, Austria: DORNBIRN-GFC
- September 12 – 13, 2018 – Birmingham, United Kingdom: RWM 2017 – Recycling & Waste Management Exhibition
- September 12 – 13, 2018 – Wien, Austria: 4. VDI-Fachkonferenz Recycling von Kunststoffen und Verbundwerkstoffen
- September 10, 2018 – Berlin, Germany: European Recycling Conference 2018
- September 5 – 7, 2018 – Portorož, Slovenia: 1st International Conference on Technologies & Business Models for Circular Economy (TBMCE)
- August 29, 2018 – Auckland, New Zealand: Circular Economy Summit Aotearoa
- August 21 – 25, 2018 – Malmö, Sweden: The 6th International Degrowth Conference
- July 17 – 18, 2018 – Nuremberg, Germany: Integration of Sustainable Energy (iSEnEC 2018)
- July 2nd – 5, 2018 – Prague, Czech Republic: 7th International Conference on Engineering for Waste and Biomass Valorisation
- June 25 – 26, 2018 – Berlin, Germany: 8th World Congress and Expo on Recycling
- June 20, 2018 – Brussel, Belgium: Seizing the opportunities of circular economy in manufacturing
- June 1st – 11, 2018 – Worldwide: Open Source Circular Economy Days
- May 30 – 31st, 2018 – Trondheim, Norway: Circular Economy Conference
- May 30, 2018 – Brussel, Belgium: R3 Water Final Conference "Water in the circular economy – innovations for urban water treatment"
- May 21st – 23, 2018 – Bergamo, Italy: Fourth Symposium on Urban Mining and Circular Economy
- May 18, 2018 – Sofia, Bulgaria: Circular economy and clean technologies
- May 15 – 16, 2018 – Cologne, Germany: 11th International Conference on Bio-based Materials
- May 14 – 18, 2018 – Copenhagen, Denmark: 26th European Biomass Conference & Exhibition
- May 14 – 18, 2018 – Munich, Germany: IFAT – World's Leading Trade Fair for Water, Sewage, Waste, and Raw Materials Management
- May 10 – 11, 2018 – Kostanjevica na Krki & Maribor, Slovenia: 3rd Circular Change Conference: UNFOLDING CIRCULAR ECONOMY ROADMAPS
- May 8 – 10, 2018 – Washington D.C., USA: Fourth Annual Sustainability and Circular Economy Summit
- May 8, 2018 – Madrid, Spain: SB 2018 Madrid – Sustainable Brands '18
- April 19, 2018 – Belgrade, Serbia: CIBEK 18, 1st CIBEK International scientific-practical conference on Circular and Bioeconomy
- April 10 – 12, 2018 – Kassel, Germany: 30. Kasseler Abfall- und Ressourcenforum 2018
- March 19 – 20, 2018 – Berlin, Germany: Berliner Recycling- und Rohstoffkonferenz
- March 19 – 20, 2018 – Berlin, Germany: World Conference on Ecology - Theme: Raising awareness to Conserve Natural resources and Ecology
- March 16 – 17, 2018 – Tokyo, Japan: Waste Recycling and Reuse
- March 15 – 16, 2018 – Paris, France: ICCEB 2018 : 20th International Conference on Circular Economy and Bioeconomy
- March 14 – 16, 2018 – Vienna, Austria: 18th International Automobile Recycling Congress IARC 2018
- March 7 – 8, 2018 – Gothenburg, Sweden: Circular Materials Conference
- March 6, 2018 – Munich, Germany: Circular Product Design (Workshop)
- March 6, 2018 – Brussels, Belgium: Closing Loops – Recipe for a truly circular economy
- March 5 – 6, 2018 – London, UK: 5th International Conference on Recycling and Waste Management
- February 27, 2018 – Brussel, Belgium: Fostering the Transition towards a Circular Economy in Europe: Turning Waste into a Resource
- February 20 – 21, 2018 – Brussels, Belgium: Circular Economy Stakeholder Conference – Delivering on the Circular Economy, What's Next?
- February 14 – 15, 2018 – Dusseldorf, Germany: The European Biopolymer Summit
- February 14, 2018 – Portland, Oregon: Workshop - Getting started with the Circular Economy - what, why, and how
- February 7 – 8, 2018 – Brussels, Belgium: Petcore Europe Conference 2018 - Strategy for PET in the Circular Economy
- February 7, 2018 – Karlsruhe, Germany: LUBW-Kolloquium Kreislaufwirtschaft 2018
- January 31st, 2018 – Graz, Austria: Österreichische Re-Use Konferenz 2018
Literature on Circular Economy
- Accenture: Full Circle - Turning Waste into Value with Your Supply Chain, by Kevin Eckerle, Sudipta Ghosh and Harry Morrison (2017)
"Now nearly all large product-based companies say they've implemented circular supply chains for recovery and recycling. But despite the enthusiasm, too many programs remain “skin deep,” failing to capture the full potential of the approach. It’s time to come full circle—transforming supply chain operations and company cultures to build an ecosystem of partners, suppliers and markets that capitalize on circularity."
- Accenture: Waste to Wealth - A book by Peter Lacy and Jakob Rutqvist (Executive summary) (2015)
"Accenture’s book, “Waste to Wealth,” examines how the transition to a circular economy may be the biggest revolution and opportunity for how we organize production and consumption in our global economy in 250 years. Powered by advances in digital, it represents a huge opportunity for companies to create a circular advantage."
- Chatham House: Resources Futures (2012), by Bernice Lee, Felix Prestion, Jaakko Kooroshy, Rob Bailey and Glada Lahn
"This report focuses on the new political economy of resources. It analyses the latest global trends in the production, trade and consumption of key raw materials or intermediate products and explores how defensive and offensive moves by governments and other stakeholders are creating new fault lines on top of existing weaknesses and uncertainties."
- De Groene Zaak and Ethica: Boosting Circular Design for a Circular Economy (2015)
"This report explores the crucial role of design in moving towards circular economy (CE). Can circular design approach be effectively furthered through regulation and if so, in what way? Can principles of circular design be embedded in the existing Ecodesign Directive?"
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation: Achieving Growth Within (2017)
"This report finds that scaling the circular economy in Europe offers investment opportunities totalling €320 billion in the food, mobility and built environment sectors. The study was produced by SYSTEMIQ in collaboration with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, and sponsored by SUN."
- Ellen MacArthurFoundation: The Circular Economy: A Wealth of Flows - 2nd Edition (2017)
"A circular economy has profound consequences for production, employment, education, money and finance but also induces a shift in public policy and taxation. The economic advantage of this model lies in designing out waste, enabling access over ownership, favouring radical resources productivity, with prospect of rebuilding natural capital and resilience."
- Ellen MacArthurFoundation: The New Plastics Economy - Catalysing action (2017)
"Launched at the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting in Davos in January 2017, this new research presents three strategies to increase reuse and recycling of plastic packaging to 70%, from today's recycling rate of just 14%. The report provides a clear action plan, endorsed by over 40 industry leaders, for the global plastics industry to design better packaging, increase recycling rates, and introduce new models for making better use of packaging."
- Ellen MacArthurFoundation: Towards the Circular Economy - Economic and business rationale for an accelerated transition (2013)
"This 20-page executive summary report sets out the organisation's latest insights and analysis on the circular economy. Towards a Circular Economy: Business Rationale for an Accelerated Transition summarises the Foundation's analysis to date, and presents its latest thinking on the need for a transition, what the impact might be on the economy, society and the environment, and how we might get there. It is relevant to all with an interest in the opportunities presented by the circular economy."
- Ellen MacArthurFoundation: Urban Biocycles (2017)
"This scoping paper focuses on the potential of the significant volume of organic waste flowing through the urban environment."
- European Commission: Report from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Counci, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions on the implementation of the Circular Economy Action Plan (2017)
- European Commssion: EU Strategy for Plastics in the Circular Economy (2018)
"A Europe-wide EU Strategy for Plastics in the Circular Economy and annex to transform the way plastics and plastics products are designed, produced, used and recycled. By 2030, all plastics packaging should be recyclable. The Strategy also highlights the need for specific measures, possibly a legislative instrument, to reduce the impact of single-use plastics, particularly in our seas and oceans."
- European Environment Agency: Circular by Design - Products in the circular economy (2017)
"This report explores the circular economy from a product perspective, applying a systemic approach and transition theory. Drivers of product design and usage are discussed in the context of emerging consumption trends and business models. For governance to be effective, it has to address the product life-cycle and the societal context determining it. Indicators and assessment tools are proposed that can help fill the current data and knowledge gaps."
- European Parliamentary Research Service: European Parliament’s Science and Technology Option Assessment (STOA) Panel, Oakdene Hollins UK, Circular Economy Research Unit of Wuppertal Institute DE): Towards a circular economy - Waste management in the EU (2017)
"This study assesses the role of the five waste streams – municipal waste, packaging waste, food waste, bio-waste, and critical raw materials – in the transition toward a circular economy in the municipalities and Member States of the EU."
- United Nations Environment Programme - UNEP: Global Material Flows and Resource Productivity. An Assessment Study of the UNEP International Resource Panel (2016).
"Growing concern about assuring affordable, equitable and environmentally sustainable access to natural resources is well founded. In this report UNEP shows global natural resource use trends and propose indicators for evidence-based policy formulation."
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development: CEO Guide to the Circular Economy (2017)
"The Guide – developed in cooperation with Accenture and signed by 14 CEOs from companies including Unilever, Danone and Tata – aims to give CEOs and business leaders the tools they need to implement circular economy principles. The Guide outlines five business models and three disruptive technologies companies can explore and implement in order to seize the USD$ 4.5 trillion opportunity the circular economy represents."
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development: Circular Economy Practitioner Guide (2017)
"The circular economy moves away from the traditional “take-make-dispose” economic model to one that is regenerative by design. The goal is to retain as much value as possible from products, parts and resources to create a system that allows for long life, sharing, digitization and resource recovery. By applying these principles, companies can design out waste, increase resource productivity and decouple growth from natural resource consumption. The Practitioner Guide is designed to help you accelerate your transition towards the circular economy."
- World Economic Forum: Towards the Circular Economy: Accelerating the scale-up across global supply chains (2014)
"In this report, the World Economic Forum and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, with analytics provided by McKinsey & Company, acting as project adviser, joined forces to reconcile the concept of scaling a circular economy within the reality of a global economy and complex multi-tier supply chains. The key objective is to propose a very specific joint plan of action for industry leaders."
Do you want to stay informed about MOVECO? Follow us on social media!