MEASURES aims to create ecological corridors by identifying key habitats and initiating protection measures along the Danube and its main tributaries. In this sense, sturgeons and other migratory fish species will act as flagship species in support of our goals.
Sturgeons and other migratory fish species represent a historical, economic and natural heritage of the Danube and are indicators of the ecological status of its watercourses, especially concerning the function of the river as an ecological corridor. Transnational management of these corridors and restoration actions, as well as restocking with indigenous species are essential.
In the three years of the project, MEASURES means:
- mapping and identifing of key habitats by developing and testing a methodology for migratory fish habitat mapping;
- developing a harmonized strategy for restoring green corridors and supporting implementation in future management plans;
- restocking of two native species to conserve their genetic pool in Hungary and Romania, establishment of a network for concerted repopulation of the target species and elaboration of a manual for the operation of broodstock facilities that will provide the offspring needed for the re-population;
- the implementation of the MEASURES Information System that will facilitate the access of experts, decision-makers and the general public to the relevant information available.
Concrete input into the next drafts of policy and management plans will secure the translation of project outcomes into sustainable management of relevant sites restoring ecological corridors.
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 2512931,08
- ERDF Contribution: 2045645,09
- IPA Contribution: 90346,27
- ENI Contribution: 0
- Call number
- Call 2
- Environment and culture responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Foster the restoration and management of ecological corridors
|University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna||Lead firstname.lastname@example.org||AUSTRIA|
|Institute for Ichthyological and Ecological Research REVIVO||ERDF email@example.com||SLOVENIA|
|Institute of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research - Bulgarian Academy of Sciences||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||BULGARIA|
|Ministry of Waters and Forests||ERDF email@example.com||ROMANIA|
|Trnava University in Trnava, Faculty of Education||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||SLOVAKIA|
An important activity for our MEASURES project took place at the end of November at Iron Gates, in Romania and Serbia (Gogosu branch, IG II, Prahovo). DDNI team (Marian Paraschiv, Stefan Hont, Marian Iani and Nicusor Neacsu), together with IMSI...
Sturgeon experts from 22 countries joined at the end of October one of the largest conferences on this topic, in Galati, Romania. One of the main attractions of the event was an exhibition prepared by Tudor Ionescu, researcher at "Dunarea de Jos"...
”When we in REVIVO think about the past summer in these autumn days, first thing that comes to mind is the extensive filed work campaign that we implemented - sitting in our boat on the Mura and Sava rivers, sampling macroinvertebrates, defining...
After three days of intense debates, scientific results, best practice projects, failures from the past and further planned researches, the biggest conference in the last 30 years regarding the sturgeons has reached the finish line winning hope...
What an important step towards the sturgeon conservation was made today! Over 120 specialists from 22 countries, representing 59 organizations have gathered to provide solutions for the white-moustache scales-bearers – the Danube...