MEASURES aims to create ecological corridors by identifying key habitats and initiating protection measures along the Danube and its main tributaries. In this sense, sturgeons and other migratory fish species will act as flagship species in support of our goals.
Sturgeons and other migratory fish species represent a historical, economic and natural heritage of the Danube and are indicators of the ecological status of its watercourses, especially concerning the function of the river as an ecological corridor. Transnational management of these corridors and restoration actions, as well as restocking with indigenous species are essential.
In the three years of the project, MEASURES means:
- mapping and identifing of key habitats by developing and testing a methodology for migratory fish habitat mapping;
- developing a harmonized strategy for restoring green corridors and supporting implementation in future management plans;
- restocking of two native species to conserve their genetic pool in Hungary and Romania, establishment of a network for concerted repopulation of the target species and elaboration of a manual for the operation of broodstock facilities that will provide the offspring needed for the re-population;
- the implementation of the MEASURES Information System that will facilitate the access of experts, decision-makers and the general public to the relevant information available.
Concrete input into the next drafts of policy and management plans will secure the translation of project outcomes into sustainable management of relevant sites restoring ecological corridors.
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 2512931,08
- ERDF Contribution: 2045645,09
- IPA Contribution: 90346,27
- ENI Contribution: 0
- Call number
- Call 2
- Environment and culture responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Foster the restoration and management of ecological corridors
|University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna||Lead email@example.com||AUSTRIA|
|Institute for Ichthyological and Ecological Research REVIVO||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||SLOVENIA|
|Institute of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research - Bulgarian Academy of Sciences||ERDF email@example.com||BULGARIA|
|Ministry of Waters and Forests||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||ROMANIA|
|Trnava University in Trnava, Faculty of Education||ERDF email@example.com||SLOVAKIA|
Winter is definitely not the favourite time for fishermen on the Mura River. Similar to hibernation in terrestrial animals, the fish stop feeding and they seek shelter in deep, slow flowing pools to conserve energy, so the fishermen’s catch is...
In March 2020, the first article was published by REVIVO in Ribič (Fisherman), the official magazine of the Slovenian Fishing Association. The article, entitled Migratory fish species in the Danube catchment, is the first in a row of popular...
Our MEASURES project got to the halfway and we are proud to announce the highlights of main achievements. Having on board 12 partners from 8 countries in the Danube region, the project targets the conservation of ecological corridors for...
World Wetlands Day is celebrated every year on 2 February. Wetlands take care of water, reflecting the interdependence between water and wetlands and the key role that wetlands play. Wisely using our wetlands is an essential component of the...
A year and a half has passed since we started the MEASURES project, but it felt like a minute for the active team who kept themselves busy with protecting the migratory fishes. It is a time to analyze the results and plan the activities to come,...