MEASURES aims to create ecological corridors by identifying key habitats and initiating protection measures along the Danube and its main tributaries. In this sense, sturgeons and other migratory fish species will act as flagship species in support of our goals.
Sturgeons and other migratory fish species represent a historical, economic and natural heritage of the Danube and are indicators of the ecological status of its watercourses, especially concerning the function of the river as an ecological corridor. Transnational management of these corridors and restoration actions, as well as restocking with indigenous species are essential.
In the three years of the project, MEASURES means:
- mapping and identifing of key habitats by developing and testing a methodology for migratory fish habitat mapping;
- developing a harmonized strategy for restoring green corridors and supporting implementation in future management plans;
- restocking of two native species to conserve their genetic pool in Hungary and Romania, establishment of a network for concerted repopulation of the target species and elaboration of a manual for the operation of broodstock facilities that will provide the offspring needed for the re-population;
- the implementation of the MEASURES Information System that will facilitate the access of experts, decision-makers and the general public to the relevant information available.
Concrete input into the next drafts of policy- and management plans will secure the translation of project outcomes into sustainable management of relevant sites restoring ecological corridors.
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 2512931,08
- ERDF Contribution: 2045645,09
- IPA Contribution: 90346,27
- ENI Contribution: 0
- Call number
- Call 2
- Environment and culture responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Foster the restoration and management of ecological corridors
|University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna||Lead email@example.com||AUSTRIA|
|National Agricultural Research and Innovation Centre, Research Institute for Fisheries||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||HUNGARY|
|Institute of Biology Bucharest, Romanian Academy||ERDF email@example.com||ROMANIA|
|Danube Delta National Institute for Research and Development||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||ROMANIA|
|WWF - World Wide Fund for Nature, Danube-Carpathian Program Bulgaria||ERDF email@example.com||BULGARIA|
Institute Revivo is a young and ambitious non-profit NGO from Slovenia, established in November 2015. Our team consist of innovative, out of the box thinking and experienced scientists from different fields of natural sciences. Unfearful desire...
This week, Institute REVIVO team started the field work activities for MEASURES project in the upper part of the Mura river in Slovenia. We’re mapping potential wintering habitats for sterlet (Acipenser ruthenus), nase (Chondrostoma nasus),...
The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU) perceives itself as a teaching and research center for renewable resources, which are necessary for human life. It is BOKU's objective to help make a considerable contribution to the...
Although it has officially started only 6 months ago, the MEASURES Project have had a lot of activities going and have gathered a lot of people around. Authorities, stakeholders, fish farmers, NGOs and volunteers, they all are important for our...
Between 13th and 15th of November, project team members were present at the Regional Conference on River Restoration for Inland Fisheries in the Danube River basin and adjacent Black Sea areas, organized in Bucharest. Representatives of partners...