MEASURES aims to create ecological corridors by identifying key habitats and initiating protection measures along the Danube and its main tributaries. In this sense, sturgeons and other migratory fish species will act as flagship species in support of our goals.
Sturgeons and other migratory fish species represent a historical, economic and natural heritage of the Danube and are indicators of the ecological status of its watercourses, especially concerning the function of the river as an ecological corridor. Transnational management of these corridors and restoration actions, as well as restocking with indigenous species are essential.
In the three years of the project, MEASURES means:
- mapping and identifing of key habitats by developing and testing a methodology for migratory fish habitat mapping;
- developing a harmonized strategy for restoring green corridors and supporting implementation in future management plans;
- restocking of two native species to conserve their genetic pool in Hungary and Romania, establishment of a network for concerted repopulation of the target species and elaboration of a manual for the operation of broodstock facilities that will provide the offspring needed for the re-population;
- the implementation of the MEASURES Information System that will facilitate the access of experts, decision-makers and the general public to the relevant information available.
Concrete input into the next drafts of policy- and management plans will secure the translation of project outcomes into sustainable management of relevant sites restoring ecological corridors.
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 2512931,08
- ERDF Contribution: 2045645,09
- IPA Contribution: 90346,27
- ENI Contribution: 0
- Call number
- Call 2
- Environment and culture responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Foster the restoration and management of ecological corridors
|University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna||Lead firstname.lastname@example.org||AUSTRIA|
|Institute for Ichthyological and Ecological Research REVIVO||ERDF email@example.com||SLOVENIA|
|Institute of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research - Bulgarian Academy of Sciences||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||BULGARIA|
|Ministry of Waters and Forests||ERDF email@example.com||ROMANIA|
|Trnava University in Trnava, Faculty of Education||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||SLOVAKIA|
Our colleagues from Hungary are continuing their work at the building site of the sturgeon hatchery, hoping that the progress will allow them to start raising their own broodstock as soon as possible. Here is the current status of the...
The members of the MEASURES team from Karlovac University of Applied Sciences come from its Department of Wildlife Management and Nature Conservation. The Department was set up in 1999 and it has been actively engaged in both scientific and field...
It began with the EUSDR (Danube Region Strategy) team supporting our efforts to publicly present the goals of our MEASURES project. The EUSDR team helped us to draw attention upon the MEASURES programme by posting the project’s story on...
Synopsis of the project activities to-date. Join us in exploring our efforts to conservate the Danube sturgeons and visualise our pilot-project in the...
WWF has been active in Bulgaria since the early 1990s. Conservation activities initially focused on the lower Danube and its tributaries, but have expanded into a comprehensive programme that includes work on forest protection and...