Long service life of inland vessels, high investment costs, low re-investment capacity of the Danube fleet operators together with knowledge deficits about green technologies as well as the lack of public actions & incentives impose severe barriers for the adaption of the Danube IWT fleet to forthcoming European IWT and environmental policy objectives.
The GRENDEL project supports the Danube vessel fleet operators and their public counterparts in modernisation of the sector. GRENDEL addresses various fleet modernisation aspects: [i] use of low carbon & alternative fuels, [ii] reduction of air pollutant emissions (CO2, NOx, PM) and [iii] overall energy consumption. Besides this, [iv] transport & logistics management processes are addressed to ensure better integration of the Danube IWT into logistics chains through new services (including River Information Services), digital data provision as well as dedicated tools to improve efficiency of fleet operations.
The project's overall goal is the improvement of the environmental and economic performance of the Danube fleet. This will be achieved through three specific objectives:
- Know-how transfer for Danube fleet operators with the help of intensive transnational collaboration between private & public stakeholders and targeted know-how transfer activities in order to overcome the existing knowledge gap, lack of activities and absence of instruments to deploy innovative solutions
- Elaboration of innovative technical vessel concepts and improved transport & logistic management processes of fleet operators and sharing these as good practices for wide-scale implementation to strengthen the competitive position of inland navigation and to exploit its market potential
- Supporting development of favourable regulatory framework & well-designed public support measures by introducing Model State Aid Scheme & innovative financial instruments to design national public support measures which will clearly address the needs of the sector
With its activities, GRENDEL aims to achieve a higher acceptance and use of inland waterway transport (IWT) as an environmentally friendly transport mode contributing to economic growth and a more sustainable transport system in the Danube region.
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 1,824,999.20
- ERDF Contribution: 1,481,137.05
- IPA Contribution: 70,112.25
- ENI Contribution: 0.00
- Call number
- Call 2
- Better connected and energy responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Support environmentally-friendly and safe transport systems and balanced accessibility of urban and rural areas
|Pro Danube International||Lead firstname.lastname@example.org||AUSTRIA|
|National Association of Radio Distress-Signalling and Infocommunications||ERDF partner||Nikoletta.email@example.com||HUNGARY|
|Danube Commission||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||HUNGARY|
|Association „Pro Danube Romania” – Association for the promotion of transports on the Danube||ERDF email@example.com||ROMANIA|
|SHIP DESIGN GROUP S.R.L. Galati||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||ROMANIA|
The EU plans to go climate-neutral by 2050. So does inland shipping! Come and discover the innovative inland vessels which have embarked on that journey and test solutions that bring pollution down too. The European Inland Waterways...
The 8th edition of the EUSDR Annual Forum took place on 27th and 28th of June 2019 in Bucharest, Romania. This event was organized by the Romanian Presidency of the EUSDR – Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Romania together with the DG...
On 19th June 2019, a workshop about the realization of a modern fleet, enhancing navigation safety and fostering innovations was organised in the framework of the 55th session of the Working Party on the Standardization of Technical and...
Danubia Kreuzfahrten operates river cruise vessels on the European waterways and is a partner in our GRENDEL project. Within Activity 4.1, Danubia Kreuzfahrten is tasked with exploring possibilities for improving the environmental performance of...
As the GRENDEL project advances also Activity 4.1 – Individual advanced vessel concepts & energy efficient navigation – is stepping up the pace. Our partners involved in this Activity are: Danubia Kreuzfahrten GmbH from Austria who...