The Danube River is a green lifeline for biodiversity. While the Network of Danube Protected Areas preserves the most valuable sites, habitat fragmentation limits efforts to preserve a cohesive ecosystem.
DANUBEparksCONNECTED has initiated the DANUBE HABITAT CORRIDOR campaign to counteract fragmentation. It offers Danube-wide strategies and exemplary activities aiming to restore and maintain connectivity in all habitat elements:
- Water: The cross-sector Danube WILDisland CORRIDOR program protects the islands, which are flagship habitats for intact river dynamics and home to characteristic species.
- Land: Natural river systems also host dry habitats, today often fragmented to isolated patches. Under DANUBE DRY HABITAT CORRIDOR actvities such as cross-border grazing herds to manage dry habitats and test the long-distance functionality of the habitat corridor or the establishment of DANUBEPARKS Canyons Network will be implemented. A fitness check of the Danube Riparian Forest Corridor will define necessary measures and activities in cooperation with the forestry sector for further development of the Riparian Forest corridor.
- Air: DANUBE FREE SKY ensures collision-free bird migration along the Danube flyway. In cooperation with power line operators, technical solutions against bird collision with electricity wires crossing the Danube will be installed.
- Fire - COMMUNICATION: The various communication measures represent the"fire" and "spice up" our activities. For example: CYCLING THE DYKE invites stakeholders and interested participants from the public to bike the Danube Corridor on the dykes and to visit project results. Helping hands for the corridor management are welcome at the 1st DANUBE VOLUNTEERS DAY. The ongoing experience and knowledge exchange of project partners from 10 Danube countries and the cross-sectorial approach between water management, energy, nature conservation and policy drivers stands for long-term capitalisation of the Danube Habitat Corridor.
The transnational DANUBEPARKS Network’s know-how and experience on the ground make it best equipped to implement an innovative project building on existing policies.
Picture: Alexander Ivanov
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 3085412,49
- ERDF Contribution: 2487762,45
- IPA Contribution: 134838,13
- ENI Contribution: 0
- Call number
- Call 1
- Environment and culture responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Foster the restoration and management of ecological corridors
|Filename||Date of upload|
|Memorandum of Cooperation signed by the DANUBEPARKS Canyons||19-12-2018 17:45:50|
|Output 3.3_WILDisland Commitment by the Danube Protected Areas||02-11-2018 12:00:02|
|Donau-Auen National Park||Lead email@example.com||Austria|
|Landratsamt Neuburg-Schrobenhausen||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||Germany|
|City of Ingolstadt||ERDF email@example.com||Germany|
|Passau District||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||Germany|
|World Heritage Municipalities Wachau||ERDF email@example.com||Austria|
Cycling the Danube - the trip to the Natural treasures along the...
The memorandum of cooperation of the "Danube Canyons" has been signed thus enabling for these particularly spectacular Protected Areas along the Danube to move closer together. Experts from Germany (Danube Valley near Passau), Austria (Wachau,...
In the frame of DANUBEparksCONNECTED together with Nationalpark Donau-Auen and viadonau, an island revitalisation work at Wolfsthal island east of Vienna has recently been implemented. Islands are ecologically important flagship habitats...
We are pleased to announce, that the signing process of the WILDisland Commitment by the Danube Protected Areas has finished and the document is finally complete! This is a huge step forward, since the commitment signed by all DANUBEPARKS...
The workshop on 26-28th of September was organized in Kopački Rit to discuss further steps for work package DANUBE FREE SKY. External experts Alexandru Dorosencu (Danube Delta National R&D Institute, Romania) and Remo Probst (Birdlife Austria)...