Photo: © Lofilolo / Depositphotos.com
Cycling has become more and more popular in recent years. However, conditions for cycling in the Danube region differ a lot. Some countries already have significant share of its population cycling, whereas in other countries the importance of cycling for transport, health, environment and/or the economy is barely recognized so far. Cycling is often treated as a side topic – in transport policies as well as for most official professional education where future planners, etc. don’t get sufficient training on cycling. Cycling infrastructure development especially at national and transnational level lacks coordinated planning, funding and implementation.
The project Danube Cycle Plans addresses these challenges by setting actions to strengthen the three main pillars of cycling promotion:
- Facilitate the development of cycling policies at national and transnational level supported by National Cycling Plans based on a common transnational Danube Cycling Strategy;
- Support the provision of adequate cycling infrastructure by defining the Danube Cycle Route Network, developing common standards and deriving an investment plan to upgrade current conditions;
- Increase the awareness of relevant stakeholders for the needs of cyclists and increase their capacity to promote cycling in the whole Danube region by implementing a mentoring system, inspiration events and national cycling conferences.
At the end of the project, relevant stakeholders will have more capacity and find improved framework conditions to promote cycling as an integral part of an environmentally-friendly transport system which contributes to the EUSDR aim to improve inter-modality and the DTP aim to support environmentally-friendly and safe transport systems. The project is embedded in THE PEP Partnership on Cycling (UNECE/WHO) who´s masterplan gives valuable input for the project and vice versa, the project´s outputs will backflow to the pan-European level.
- Start date
- End date
- Budget in Euro
- Overall: 1682760.75
- ERDF Contribution: 1291787.05
- IPA Contribution: 138559.56
- ENI Contribution: 0
- Call number
- Call 3
- Better connected and energy responsible Danube region
- Specific objective
- Support environmentally-friendly and safe transport systems and balanced accessibility of urban and rural areas
|Filename||Date of upload|
|THE PEP Steering Meeting Commitee Presentation 27-12-2020||03-12-2020 11:55:31|
|Environment Agency Austria||Lead email@example.com||Austria|
|Partnership for Urban Mobility||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||Czech Republic|
|KTI Institute for Transport Sciences Non Profit Ltd.||ERDF email@example.com||Hungary|
|Ministry of Transport and Construction of the Slovak Republic||ERDF firstname.lastname@example.org||Slovakia|
|Ministry of Infrastructure||ERDF partner||Gregor.email@example.com||Slovenia|
Slovak Minister of Transport Andrej Dolezal announced that the Slovak National Recovery Plan envisages 600 million euros for the modernization of railway infrastructure, 100 million euros for the support of bicycle transport and 50 million euros...
In the autumn of 2020, the Hungarian Government devoted 4 billion HUF (more than 11 million EUR) to planning cycle routes through the country. The coordination is assigned to the government commissioner for ‘Active Hungary’, who is responsible...
Cycling in Vienna increases resilience in times of crisis. Despite lockdown, distance learning, and working from home, Viennese have relied on their pedals more often than ever in the past year. In 2020, bicycle counters recorded more than 9...
In this newsletter, you will find several results that were successfully finalized in this period. Although we had limited travel opportunities, we took full advantage of the opportunity to meet through many online conferences and discuss issues...
Partners of the Danube Cycle Plans wish you a Happy New Year! May the New Year bring you an abundance of endurance and inspiration in the difficult road of success! “A bicycle ride around the world begins with a single pedal...